Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Five Deadly Snarks of Weddings: Snark #4--Budget Snarking


The Five Deadly Snarks of Weddings:

#4 Budget Snarking


4. Budget snarking. Arrrghghh. This one bothers me almost more than anything else. The offbeat, DIY, I-paid-$7-for-my-wedding-dress-at-the-thrift-store-$500-potluck-hipster brides are the WORST when it comes to budget snarking. Hey, having a $1000 wedding means you are clever, crafty, and that you had certain resources available to you to pull it off. That's it. Nothing more. Making all your invitations by hand doesn't make your invitations more "real" than someone who had them made by an invitation artist. The fact that your aunt allowed you to use their backyard free of charge makes you LUCKY, not better than someone who puts $10,000 down on their venue. Not everyone has the same resources as you do. For instance, my family lives in the Midwest. I don't have an aunt Sally with a big backyard for me to get hitched in. And the fact that you bought your entire wedding off of etsy just makes you...well, that makes you awesome...but that's not the point. The point is: Get off your high-hipster-horse and realize that you're not doing anything original in the sense of getting married. People have been having DIY weddings before there was ever a thing such as the wedding industry. With all due respect, please get over yourselves. Stop downing people for spending as little as $5,000 on a wedding for 100 people. And stop pushing those goddamned potluck dinners on the rest of us! Peacock Brides ain't got time for that...


I don't particularly like the idea of potluck. I got food poisoning at a potluck celebration for graduates at my childhood church. I spent my graduation weekend puking while I watched my friends party. So no. I don't do potlucks and I generally don't eat potato salad that someone else has made. Should I feel bad or less down to earth because I would rather a restaurant cater than have random food show up on the table? No. I don't have to explain my budget to you. I don't have to justify my expenses. This is my money that I've worked hard to save and I will spend it as I please.

You know what's the best part of someone else's wedding? The fact that you don't have to pay for it. I applaud any bride who can pull off a wedding for almost nothing. Realistically, many people can't or don't want to. It's none of your business what someone else spends and it's not right to down people because they are receiving financial help from family members. 

                                                      Back to Snark List

No comments:

Post a Comment